Monday 12 September 2016

Coffee Coasters


Hello crafters :)

I'm always thinking of ways to use my stamps for different types of projects so when I bought the Coffee Love stamp set by Altenew recently I knew just what I wanted to make ;)

I bought a couple of MDF coasters at a local craft show a few weekends ago and painted them with two shades of chalk paint so I could distress the edges with some fine sandpaper then I set about stamping out my coffee design....


I used Versafine Onyx black ink to stamp my images and text, it needed stamping twice to make the black nice and intense but then you have to give it a good few hours to dry before adding the colour.


To add colour to the images I made a negative mask with a post it note and then sponged colour in from the left side to give intense shadow one side and highlights to the right.... I think less is more when it comes to adding the colour. The espresso pot is coloured using a grey Versafine ink, I used the same ink to stamp the coffee beans around the edge too :)



The retro coffee pot is coloured using Hero Arts Pool ink in the same way I described above. To make them durable for your coffee cups and mugs, the coasters will need a coat of varnish.... I left mine a full 48 hours before attempting to do this so the ink had time to dry fully. 

These are intended to fit in nicely with the colour scheme of our lounge..... when we finely get round to decorating it!! Haha.... hopefully before Christmas.... but they would make great gifts too :)

I hope you like them and feel inspired to use your stamps for house decor projects too... here are the fabulous sets I used..

                                 

Thanks for stopping by :)
Jenny x

7 comments:

  1. This is so creative and awesome! What a fab idea, and the finished result is superb. They really would make ideal Christmas gifts. Thanks for some brilliant inspiration! Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun idea, loving the stamps and the sentiments too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making home decor projects and gifts with MDF, these are just fabulous!! Mx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these coasters...they are simply wow..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic idea! Love these coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea and yes, perfect gift idea! Love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team