Friday 16 September 2016

Creating Faux Filters

Hi everybody,

Jill here, and this week, I'm creating my own faux photography filters...


Using Mama Elephant's Pix's Favourite's as my main focus.


I used to love creating this kind of sepia effect but hadn't tried it in ages so thought I'd give it another blast.


It's such a simple, yet effective technique.  You simply stamp your design out in a brown ink, and colour your images monochramaticially (is that a word?  You get what I mean...several tones of the same colour).  I used various brown Distress Inks and watercoloured my images, but you could use pens, or pencils, or whatever your favourite colouring medium is, to achieve the same look.  I also introduced an accent colour of pink to add a little warmth and help the heart to stand out.


I used My Favourite Things Geometric Grid to stamp onto my background and white heat embossed. I then brushed more of the same colour inks across it creating a matching wash, and used Lawn Fawn's Say Cheese die to frame to my coloured image.


I enjoyed this technique so much and really loved the result, I felt it looked like I'd put a cool vintage filter over my images, so decided to try out the same thing again but in black and white this time;  and here's where that took me...



I used Mama Elephant's In My Heart and Spring Garden to create my black and white design, and used the exact same technique, just using black and grey inks, again, with a splash of pink.  I've also seen a load of simple blue & white designs, like the look you get on crockery and bone china, and that looks awesome too, so maybe I'll give that a go next.  I was thinking you could try it in any colour and I bet the result would be really interesting...like your own personal Instagram for your cards :)

I really hope you like them, and as always, everything I used is linked below.

See you next week.

Jillx

Pix's Favorites     In My Heart Image 1     Mama Elephant Spring Garden

Geometric Grid BackgroundSay Cheese Die Image 1













3 comments:

  1. A really great technique. I especially love the tones of colour on the rabbit card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fab Jill! I love the idea of creating your own filters. The pops of colour with the pink look great against the monochrome images. Super cards, thanks so much for the inspiration :) Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, Jill. I might steal that idea – it's so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team